June 2, 2013

Sunday Blogaround 6.2.13

Hello, lovely readers! And welcome to another edition of the blogaround!!!
It's been a hectic week. I wish I could have spent more time canvassing the many wonderful blogs around the internet these past seven days! However, here are the best of the best of those I've found. Enjoy!


"What is Happening in Istanbul?" - Insanlik Hali
Maybe you've heard about the riots in Istanbul. You should have. This is important. These riots aren't like those of the Arab Spring, about demanding democracy. Turkey already HAS a democracy. This is about the DECLINE of popular rule. For generations, Turkey has prided itself on its secular openness, on its progress and and equality. Recently though, the government has swung right. The conservative elements within it have curtailed rights, have handed public goods to private companies. They have been dismantling the rights of minorities, particularly religious and ethnic minoritites. It seems that this was the straw that broke the camel's back.


"Fry-apalooza 2013" - 649.133
I can tell you, my first deep fried oreo was a freakin' revelation. If I ever get a deep fryer (again), the first thing I'm doing is buying a CASE of double stuffs and a Costco flat of Bisquick. And yeah, gallons of oil. This will probably also be the last thing I do with a deep fry. And the last thing I do period.


"They Tell You, 'It Gets Easier...' They Lie." - Nothing By The Book
This is great. And true. And I'm SO guilty! I always tell new moms that the first six weeks are hardest, and then it gets easier. But NBTB has it right, I did lie. It just changes. (But I still stand by the idea that no matter how much it changes, weeks 2-6 with a newborn are still pretty much as hard as it gets.)


"Sticks and Stones" - xkcd
My favorite geeky comic. Maybe my favorite comic regardless of geekiness. Anyway, I thought this one was too good not to share. It's not funny. It's the opposite of funny. It's true.


"Let me tell you about an amazing man named Patrick Stewart..." - LemonSweetie
Yes, I'm a life-long Trekkie. But that has nothing to do with this. This has to do with an incredible person who overcame personal heartbreak and tragedy becoming an international icon. It has to do with that person throwing all their celebrity behind truly GOOD causes, and being able to literally reach out and hug somebody in need. I highly recommend clicking through to watch the video, as well. So long as you have a box of tissues handy.


Also, this might be the best ad campaign ever.



Last, but not least, today is National Cancer Survivors Day.

You probably haven't stopped to think about how many people in your life have been touched by cancer, but in my family... it's a lot. M, me, my mother, my grandparents, Lala, friends... we've had more than our share of cancer. We've lost more people than many. But M is a survivor, and I'm a survivor, and that means something that's hard to put into words.

It doesn't matter that each cancer is different, each story different, each treatment unique. What matters is that this is a disease, that while having more forms than we can count, can be cured. There must be a cure. There will be a cure.

Until then, we, the battle scarred, have today to stand up and be counted. To shake our fists at the void and proclaim that WE ARE NOT DONE YET.

We have a long way yet to go.


-----
You can read all about M's cancer story here, here, and here; or you can read a whole lot more here.
You can read about mine here, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Vote for me!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!