March 31, 2013

Sunday Blogaround - 3.31.2013

Hello, lovely readers! And welcome to another blogaround!

This week, I had a round three interview for a full time job. Which has me constantly sort of thinking about what it might actually mean to be out of the house and away from my kids, all day, every day.

I never expected the wave of differing emotions- but that's not what this is about. This is about the blogaround! And this week, there seems to be a theme going around. My theme. Being out of the house and away from your kids to work.

So enjoy those musings along with these other treatises on sharing and gorgeous whale videos and whatnot.

Happy reading!


Robot Love: Adventures of a Geek Family"Actually, being a working mother IS pretty traditional..." - Robot Love
The Robot Mama is a working mom, but aren't we all? At any rate, she muses about the history of work and motherhood, and I am with her all the way. Regardless of how we feel about working or not working, or about motherhood in general, I think we can all agree that standards of living are better now than in those cave days.


"Missing the Actions" - The Kopp Girls
Kyle works, and the kids keep doing things. And he misses them. I feel for him so hard.


"In Defense of Sharing" - Ask Your Dad
I had no idea that not-sharing was becoming a thing. I'm a little stunned, and I am in complete agreement (as usual) with John (Dad). Sharing is important, but absolutes are never a good idea anyway.

Trailer Gypsy"Parents Trying to get Science Teacher Fired for Teaching Science." - Trailer Gypsy
No, it's not a joke. You might be familiar with the headline. A teacher was teaching human reproduction- straight out of the textbook- and is being threatened with dismissal for saying the word "vagina." Well, the school where all of it went down is Trailer Gypsy's boyfriend's alma mater.


"A White Boy's Observations of Sexism and the Adria Richards Fiasco" - Scientopia
In case you're not familiar with the story, Adria Richards was an executive at a Silicon Valley startup. She was fired after she tweeted about two men behind her in a conference, making lewd and inappropriate jokes. This writer has a pretty good theory why sexism continues to persist in American culture, and in particular in industries like this. I highly recommend the read.


"Trippin' Out" - 649.133
Replace "Easter" with "Passover" and this was us last weekend. Same length drive, same routine. Look at that! Janel just saved me a blog post! But seriously, I'll still be writing about Passover


The Family Pants
"The Pearl: I'm a Fairy Princess" - The Family Pants
Every child should be permitted to indulge in make believe. In pretend. In the fun of just being a kid and being silly and finding profound meaning in that. It doesn't matter what gender they are, and why should it? Or maybe it DOES matter. Maybe playing pretend when you pretend to be a girl, you learn more empathy for women. Maybe this is part of the solution to problems all over the world. Maybe the solution is, let our children learn what they want to learn. Not what we think they need to know to become us.


"Whale Watching" - Antarctica. Srsly.
In case you've missed previous blogarounds, my friend is living at the south pole for a spell. And while he's there, he is taking SPECTACULAR photographs of whales and penguins and icebergs and what-have-you. It's pretty amazing.


"The Seals are Back!" - Antarctica. Srsly.
Okay, if you enjoyed whales, or even if you didn't, this might be even better. SEALS. Lots of 'em. With some penguins thrown in for good measure.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm always happy to save you the time of writing a new post. I accept payment in the form of naps and Cadbury Eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for featuring me! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Vote for me!

Visit Top Mommy Blogs To Vote For Me!